Monday, December 29, 2003

Having finally gotten around to watching my taped episodes of Arrested Development (since after all the 9PM Sunday nights are reserved for something else), I'm a bit surprised how much I'm enjoying the show. The pilot episode really left me cold in that I just didn't catch that many jokes or gags. But I kept on watching if only to prove/disprove the critical acclaim, and it's grown on me quite a lot without being a belly-larffing level sitcom. Rather, its characters who are so completely weird (sometimes delicious and malicious) actually have managed to charm me. Few are actually likeable (although the burgeoning Michael-Lindsay detente feels quite genuine and heartfelt), but they are all drawn so angularly that it's almost impossible for me to not adore.

No comments: