Monday, November 15, 2004

The West Wing - 1x02 "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc"

I haven't seen most of season 1 of The West Wing, and having very slowly begun digging through its DVD, I've so far been left underwhelmed by the first two episodes -- at best, "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc" whelms me.

That said, one thing worth noting, since my whelmed condition doesn't warrant any deeper exagmination, is at the end of this episode, where POTUS hears from Leo that the Navy doctor he liked, Morris Tolliver, was killed in a terrorist attack. POTUS says with proper gravitas, "I am not frightened. I'm going to blow them off the face of the earth with the fury of God's own thunder." Which words got me wondering why I got Goose-Pimples-of-Awe rather than Rolling-Eyes-of-Figurative-Vomit because of you-know-what/you-know-who. Was it just the gravitas? Was it because as a Liberal Elite schmuck, I'll blindly slavish Bartlett with praise no matter what malarkey spews forth? (I have an answer to the last question: NO -- cf. horrible post-Sorkin The West Wing.) Or was it simply the eloquence of the words which would be alien to you-know-who? The quite beautiful contrast of the brash "I'm going to blow the off the face of the earth" appended with "God's own thunder"?

Obviously, I'm hoping the latter.

So yeah, POTUS rules, you-know-who drools.

No comments: