Sunday, August 02, 2009

Natalie's Top 6 Performance and Results Shows Music Recap




The music this week was okay. None of the music made me cringe which is always a positive! At this point in the season, the music starts to take more of a backseat to the dancers. I realize that this show is about dancing, but I like to think that the songs can affect how the routines and dancers end up being judged. Once we get towards the end of the season, the dancers are starting to dance with the songs, instead of letting the music overpower their movement.

I'm not sure when I'll be getting my music recap up next week. I'm going to miss the Thursday finale show and I'll be away til Sunday, so I'll try to get it up early the week after!



Onto the music recaps for the Top 6 Performance and Results shows…



Top 6 Performance Show


Your hair is so very tame, my darling Cat. The dress is rather boring though. It’s a good thing you’re adorable, or I might like you less.

Top 3 Guys Group Routine Choreographed by Sonya Tayeh

Brandon looks like Carlton on ‘roids. What else can I really say about Sonya? She always picks songs with strong beats, and the musicality of her choreography entrances everyone. From the sudden stops to the strange chugging to Brandon suspending in the air for way longer than humanly possible, I loved this routine.

Song: True Romance
Artist/Band: She Wants Revenge
Where you’ve heard the song before: It was a single off of their album This Is Forever.
Buy the song on iTunes: She Wants Revenge - This Is Forever - True Romance

Jeanine & Ade’s Samba choreographed by Louis Van Amstel

I have to say that I love Louis’s song choices and choreography. I just did not love Jeanine and Ade in that. Imagine Janette and Artem (S1) doing this routine. Now that would have been HOT. I felt like Jeanine and Ade got overpowered by the song and choreo.

Song: LoveGame
Artist/Band: Lady Gaga
Where you’ve heard the song before: Lady Gaga performed this song in a medley on DWTS.
Buy the song on iTunes: Lady GaGa - The Fame - LoveGame

Kayla’s Solo

As some have pointed out, Kayla looked absolutely manic during her solo. I feel like for a song like this, which has a rich background on television, she needed to put a different emotion behind it. I like the song and I like Kayla, but for some reason, her movement did not match the song.

Song: You Found Me
Artist/Band: The Fray
Where you’ve heard the song before: ABC’s show Lost used this song for a promo for its fifth season. A few snippets of the song were used during the past season of American Idol. The Real World: Brooklyn used the song for a commercial. My favorite time this song was used was at the end of an episode of One Tree Hill. I can’t get enough of that show. I know…you can judge me.
Buy the song on iTunes: The Fray - The Fray - You Found Me

Melissa & Evan’s Broadway routine choreographed by Tyce DiOrio

Tasty has certainly stepped up his Broadway game since the advent of Joey Dowling on the show. It really is amazing to see Evan dance his own style. The song was adorable and he is the adorabl-est contestant on the show. I want more Broadway music like this.

Song: Get Me To the Church on Time (from My Fair Lady)
Artist/Band: Matt Dusk
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s officially from the musical My Fair Lady. Frank Sinatra recorded the song in 1966.
Buy the song on iTunes: Matt Dusk - Back In Town - Get Me to the Church on Time

Ade’s Solo

This is another solo where I thought the energy and emotion didn’t match the music. Maybe this is why I dread the solos so much. Don’t get me wrong, Ade’s dancing is fantastic and his musicality is amazing, but something just isn’t jiving for me. I think what I want more of is to see a dancer so moved by a song or choreography that they end up emotional about it. Something like Travis Wall would have done in Season 2. I don’t necessarily mean that the dancers have to end up on the floor crying, but if you’re going to pick a sad song, I want to see that beyond the 30 seconds of movement. Maybe I’m just being picky.

Song: 18th Floor Balcony
Artist/Band: Blue October
Where you’ve heard the song before: The song was originally released on Blue October’s album Foiled and then on their premium album called Foiled for the Last Time.
Buy the song on iTunes: Blue October - Foiled for the Last Time - 18th Floor Balcony

Kayla & Brandon’s Contemporary routine choreographed by Stacey Tookey

This.song.was.perfect. For this choreography anyway. There was such despair in it that I really think that it helped Kayla and Brandon get into their character and make it shine through the choreography. It was as powerful as Mia’s addiction piece without being quite as angry.

Song: All I Want
Artist/Band: Ahn Trio
Where you’ve heard the song before: It is on their album Lullaby For My Favorite Insomniac.
Buy the song on iTunes: Ahn Trio - Ahn Trio: Lullaby for My Favorite Insomniac - All I Want

Melissa’s Solo

Her best solo of the season. A simple cabriole into a tour jeté was enough for me to remember that she is an excellent ballerina. I think this was the best song she’s ever danced to.

Song: I Put A Spell On You
Artist/Band: Nina Simone
Where you’ve heard the song before: The song was originally sung by Screamin' Jay Hawkins. Creedence Clearwater Revival, Ray Charles, Joe Cocker, Estelle, Queen Latifah, and Marilyn Manson all did covers of the song. The song has been featured in Hocus Pocus, The Sixth Sense, various commercials, and David Alan Grier and Kym Johnson did a Viennese Waltz to this song on DWTS.
Buy the song on iTunes: Nina Simone - I Put a Spell On You - I Put a Spell On You

Jeanine & Ade’s Hip-Hop routine choreographed by NappyTabs

Jeanine’s stank face is funny. You know what’s not funny or fun? Dancing with boxes on your feet and then ending up with one of them on your head. With a sad face. Don’t hate me, but I don’t hate this song. When I found out that NappyTabs was doing a routine about eviction to this song, I was kinda expecting a trainwreck. They sure delivered.

Song: Move (If You Wanna)
Artist/Band: Mims
Where you’ve heard the song before: Twitch choreographed to it. So did Luam. If you haven’t heard it there, maybe you caught it on an episode From G’s to Gents. No? Me either.
Buy the song on iTunes: Mims - Guilt - Move (If You Wanna)

Brandon’s Solo

So, if contestants can repeat their solos from performance show to results show, then why can’t Brandon repeat his audition solo? Especially since it was indescribable with any kind of words or sounds or hand gestures. The control he has over his body is unparalleled. It was a wonderful reminder going into the finale just how spectacular he is. This is also what I was talking about when I wanted the dancers’ energy to match the music. Look at his face after his solo. In-tense.

Song: O Fortuna (from Carmina Burana)
Artist/Band: Mozarteum Orchestra Salzburg & Kurt Prestel
Where you’ve heard the song before: Brandon auditioned to this song (like you could forget that) and Caitlin and Jason did a Paso to this song earlier this season. More info at Wikipedia.
Buy the song on iTunes: Mozarteum Orchestra Salzburg & Kurt Prestel - Orff: Carmina Burana - O Fortuna

Melissa & Evan’s Quickstep choreographed by Louis Van Amstel

As far as I could tell, I didn’t mind this choreography as much as I minded Melissa and Evan actually doing it. Plus, the Brian Setzer song didn’t grate me like they usually do.

Song: As Long As I’m Singing
Artist/Band: The Brian Setzer Orchestra
Where you’ve heard the song before: This version comes from their album The Dirty Boogie, where “Jump Jive An' Wail” also appeared.
Buy the song on iTunes: The Brian Setzer Orchestra - The Dirty Boogie - As Long as I'm Singin'

Jeanine’s Solo

Jeanine is a fantastic dancer. Wonderful technician and overall great personality. But for some reason, her solos never do anything for me. It seems as though she will not be a future choreographer like our Travis Wall. She executes others’ choreography well, but doesn’t know how to create movement that uses all of her facilities. Oh, and I don’t like this Janet Jackson song.

Song: Feedback
Artist/Band: Janet Jackson
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s from her most recent album Discipline. It was the first single off that album.
Buy the song on iTunes: Janet - Discipline - Feedback

Evan’s Solo

I often feel that I’m watching the same solo over and over again with Evan. Although, I do love it, it is getting a bit old for my taste.

Song: Lady Is a Tramp
Artist/Band: Sammy Davis, Jr.
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s from the musical Babes In Arms. Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, and Shirley Bassey all recorded their own versions and Sinatra sang the song in the film Pal Joey. Sinatra also recorded a special version of the song (called Maureen is a Champ) with altered lyrics for Ringo Starr’s wife, but only one copy of the recording exists.
Buy the song on iTunes: Sammy Davis, Jr. - Greatest Songs - Lady Is a Tramp

Kayla & Brandon’s Disco routine choreographed by Doriana Sanchez

I’m not quite sure how Kayla and Brandon finished that routine. I like the changes in disco this season but damn Doriana. You almost killed them. That double death drop was horrible. Poor Kayla looked like a little kid trying not to fall over. This song didn’t even get on my nerves! We’re on a roll tonight!

Song: Dance (Disco Heat)
Artist/Band: Sylvester
Where you’ve heard the song before: It was released in 1978 (surprise surprise) on his album Step II and a 12” single.
Buy the song on iTunes: Sylvester - Living Proof - Dance (Disco Heat)

Top 3 Girls Routine Choreographed by Sonya Tayeh

Sonya was on point tonight. I love that she gave the girls strong characters. I like that Sonya’s views on gender roles are that girls kick ass and so do guys. I prefer this to girls skipping around with parasols, like Katee and Courtney were forced to do last year.

Song: Kick It (Stereoheroes Remix)
Artist/Band: Nina Martine
Where you’ve heard the song before: I can’t find out much info about Nina Martine, so naturally the song is pretty foreign to me.
Buy the song on iTunes: Nina Martine - Kick It - EP - Kick It



Top 6 Results Show Music Recap





Top 6 Group Routine choreographed by Tyce DiOrio

It didn’t have the intensity of some of the other opening group numbers, but damn if this routine didn’t make me stop typing and just watch because it was so moving. I thought for sure it wasn’t a Tyce creation, but I was wrong. It definitely pulled at the heartstrings just because of the nature of the song itself. Add in some of Tyce’s movement that wasn’t too heinous and you end up with a decent opening piece.

Song: Send in the Clowns
Artist/Band: Judy Collins
Where you’ve heard the song before: The song is by Stephen Sondheim and from the musical A Little Night Music. Judy Collins recorded the song in 1975 and Sinatra, Shirley Bassey, Bing Crosby, Angela Lansbury, Barbara Streisand, Glenn Close, and Olivia Newtown John all recorded covers of this song.
Buy the song on iTunes: Judy Collins - The Very Best of Judy Collins - Send In the Clowns

Jessica & Will’s Contemporary routine choreographed by Tyce DiOrio (Emmy Nominated

I still don’t find this piece as epic as some other people. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s danced well, but the quiet energy of the routine, doesn’t work for me.

Song: Silence
Artist/Band: Unfaithful (soundtrack)
Where you’ve heard the song before: If you’ve seen the movie, you’ve heard the song before. Rather disturbing movie, as I recall.
Buy the song on iTunes: Jan A.P. Kaczmarek - Unfaithful - Silence

Katee & Twitch’s Contemporary routine choreographed by Mia Michaels (Emmy Nominated)

I love me some Katee and Twitch, but I would have rather seen Katee and Josh’s No Air or their Bollywood. Or even their Hometown Glory or Slow Dancing in a Burning Room. Why are there no Katees this season? The routine this time looked a bit overworked, like they’d rehearsed it too many times. I still loved it though. And I liked that they stayed in character til the very end.

Song: Mercy
Artist/Band: Duffy
Where you’ve heard the song before: John Mayer covers this song sometimes.
Buy the song on iTunes: Duffy - Rockferry - Mercy

Chelsie & Joshua’s Argentine Tango choreographed by Dmitry Chaplin (Emmy Nominated)

I’m not so sure that it was smart of the producers to bring back the Season 4 dancers. It just made the audience realize how much we’re missing from this season. THIS is an Argentine Tango. Take notes Kayla and Jeanine, that’s what sexy looks like, in the form of pint-sized Chelsie Hightower.

Song: A Los Amigos
Artist/Band: Forever Tango (Original Broadway Cast Album)
Where you’ve heard the song before: This song is absolutely no where. :(

Melissa’s Solo

Song: I Put A Spell On You
Artist/Band: Nina Simone
Buy the song on iTunes: Nina Simone - I Put a Spell On You - I Put a Spell On You

Ade’s Solo

Song: 18th Floor Balcony
Artist/Band: Blue October
Buy the song on iTunes: Blue October - Foiled for the Last Time - 18th Floor Balcony



JabbaWockeeZ Guest Performance

I didn’t realize how much I’d missed those white masks til I saw the Jabba on stage. Their synchronicity is beyond anything I’ve seen before and probably will ever see, but their routine could have been better for me.

Song: Freak-A-Zoid
Artist/Band: Midnight Star
Where you’ve heard the song before: Twitch (S4) did a solo to Midnight Star’s song Midas Touch. “Freak-A-Zoid” is from their album No Parking on the Dance Floor, released in 1983.
Buy the song on iTunes: Midnight Star - No Parking On the Dance Floor - Freak-A-Zoid

Chelsie & Mark’s Bleeding Love Performance choreographed by NappyTabs

I’ll admit, the first time I saw this dance, I was only slightly impressed. I think I became a Chelsie fan during DWTS (I know…ssshhhhhh). Watching this routine this time made me long for a better time on the show. When dancers actually gave me more emotions. Chelsie’s face at the end of the routine, that anguish that just radiated from her whole body, actually got me upset. As much as I don’t think Napoleon and Tabitha are pulling through for this season, I think that they got it right last season.

Song: Bleeding Love
Artist/Band: Leona Lewis
Where you’ve heard the song before: Ryan Tedder and Jesse McCartney wrote it. McCartney recorded it on one of his albums.
Buy the song on iTunes: Leona Lewis - Spirit (Deluxe Version) - Bleeding Love

Kayla’s Solo

Song: You Found Me
Artist/Band: The Fray
Buy the song on iTunes: The Fray - The Fray - You Found Me

Evan’s Solo

Song: Lady Is A Tramp
Artist/Band: Sammy Davis, Jr.
Buy the song on iTunes: Sammy Davis, Jr. - That's All! - The Lady Is a Tramp

Sean Paul’s Performance

I’m glad the back-up dancers finally had some choreography besides a back roll or some simple gyrations. Were they on the level of any of our dancers? No. But they could have easily won a dance battle against Sex. Or Leo for that matter. As far as I’m concerned, this is one of the better performances this season as far as singers go. Though that isn’t saying much.

Song: So Fine
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s his first single from his newest album Imperial Blaze. Plus I think I can hear every single one of you jamming to this song in your cars with the windows down.
Buy the song on iTunes: Sean Paul - So Fine - Single - So Fine



Melissa’s Goodbye Montage

There’s always some kind of drama, and this week it comes in the forms of Kelly Clarkson and Ryan Tedder. “People” are saying that “Already Gone” and “Halo” sound alike (same backing track). Clarkson is a bit upset and says she fought her record label on releasing “Already Gone” as her third single. Listen to the two songs here and decide for yourself. Tedder responded and feels hurt by all of this. I say, we pick new goodbye songs for next week.

Song: Already Gone
Artist/Band: Kelly Clarkson
Buy the song on iTunes: Kelly Clarkson - All I Ever Wanted (Deluxe Version) - Already Gone

Ade’s Goodbye Montage

Song: On Your Own
Artist/Band: Green River Ordinance
Buy the song on iTunes: Green River Ordinance - Out of My Hands - On Your Own

No comments: