Thursday, July 15, 2004

America's Next Top Model (Cycle 1) - 1.06 "The Girls Who Get Really Naked"

How quickly does my hate for Robin go from 0 to 60? ONE WHOLE EPISODE. When ANTM first aired, I didn't start watching until this episode and I immediately took to hating Robin at wrathful levels.

Similarly, it was crush at first sight with Elyse. Short brown hair is enough to seal the deal, but articulate with the maturity to make attempts at mediation? OH MY WORD! I do believe I have the vapors!

If I was able to reach these opinions in the space of a single episode that are more or less reinforced by the rest of the season, does that mean ANTM is so easily reduced, at least in terms of its extremes? Apparently so. While I missed out on the petty squabbles of the first two-thirds of the season, Elyse and Robin form the primary dramatic backbone of the show, one so robust that it remains a high point, not just for ANTM, but for all of reality television.

No comments: