Saturday, June 18, 2005

Beauty and the Geek - 1x03

Oh why am I still watching this show? Do I want to wallow in Brad's sluttiness? (Or do I mean Chuck? You know what they say, all geeks look alike.) Do I want to ogle Scarlet's hotness?

I know one thing is for sure, though: Beauty and the Geek traffics in blatant obviousness (caveat: all reality programs have to make plot points and characterizations explicit to ensure that as wide an audience as possible understands what's going on, but BatG is especially superficial). I think it was Krystal who said that she didn't know anything about rocket science. Thanks for confirming our doubts, honey.

But more importantly, one of the more malicious bits of obviousness is how the show promotes immediate transformation. A lot of reality programs hinge on some kind of transformative moment for a contestant (whether it's a makeover show or not -- that is, see Top Model and the multiple reclamation projects it features every season), but BatG peddles a particularly fallacious (if not dangerous) ideology that change just takes a few weeks. When Chuck bemoaned how Richard was regressing after what seemed to be 'progress,' the show was endorsing the notion of the quick-fix, which ignores contingent circumstances like Richard's (probable) Asperger's syndrome. By the way, in the video room during the elimination, Richard laughed like Mr. Peepers.



And while I'm making my own obvious jokes, I'd like to remind all you cool kids that not all the guys on the show are nerds; after all, in the immortal words of all around cool guy Milhouse, "I'm not a nerd! ... Nerds are smart." Clearly, not every guy on the show is smart. Take, for instance, Bill, the Vice President of the Dukes of Hazzard Fan Club. Come on, Dukes of Hazzard? Or that he's the Vice President?

But to end on another dour ideology-infused note: although I said previously that the show objectifies both the guys in addition to the bimbos, BatG and/or the guys on the show are objectifying the ladies even more. Why would someone who's in Mensa be 'in love' with a beer spokesmodel but for the reason that she's hot? Gawd, men are such pigs! (Fer sher!)

Indie rating: My Bloody Valentine - "Only Shallow"

No comments: