Sunday, June 28, 2009

Natalie's SYTYCD Top 16 Performance and Result Shows Music Recaps


Fox.com


[I picked this picture because, although it did not make the "official" group of images from the performance night, it speaks volumes about the dancing and Mia Michaels]

I had to fast forward through Toni Basil’s “speech” in the beginning. Going from Lil’ C to Toni is like going from English to Mandarin Chinese with no subtitles. Makes little to no sense. ADAM SHANKMAN FOR 3RD PERMANENT JUDGE!!! I know that Shankman gets a bad wrap for sometimes being too nice, but I like that he supports the dancers but can still give them constructive (coherent) criticism.

Onto the music recaps for the Top 16 Performance and Results shows…


Karla & Jonathan’s Hip-Hop routine choreographed by Dave Scott

What a disappointment with Karla’s background with the Boogie Bots. The first problem, I think, was with the song choice. It’s kind of an in between song. Not hard-hitting and not smooth enough for lyrical hip-hop. That translated into the movement. There wasn’t much going on there, Dave Scott. Better work next time.

Song: By My Side
Artist/Band: Jadakiss feat. Ne-Yo
Where you’ve heard the song before: Apparently it got good airplay but I don’t listen to the radio so that might explain my non-exposure to this song.
Buy the single on iTunes: Jadakiss & Ne-Yo - The Last Kiss (Bonus Track Version) - By My Side


Asuka & Vitolio’s Jazz routine choreographed by Mandy Moore

Thrash Rocker Jazz. Asuka was bound to break down. A la Cousin Heidi and the Bench routine. The dance started out slow. It seemed even slower with Pat Benatar playing. I don’t know. I didn’t think it was hard enough. Maybe I’m used to more steps? I just don’t know.

Song: Heartbreaker
Artist/Band: Pat Benatar
Where you’ve heard the song before: Cheyenne Kimball of an MTV series fame sand this song with Benatar in a Candie’s ad. It was performed on Charmed by Pat Benatar and a parody was done on My Name Is Earl. Idina Menzel, of RENT, Enchanted, and a short arc on Private Practice, sang this song on her “I Stand” tour. It’s a song available to play on Rock Band and Guitar Hero: World Tour.
Buy the single on iTunes: Pat Benatar - In the Heat of the Night - Heartbreaker


Melissa & Ade’s Rumba choreographed by Tony Meredith

Who doesn’t love some Destiny’s Child once in awhile? As far as rumbas go, this definitely wasn’t one of my favorites. I think they danced it well and even got into the emotion, but I just didn’t get it. It looked a little rough around the edges.

Song: Emotion
Artist/Band: Destiny’s Child
Where you’ve heard the song before: It was originally sung by Samantha Sung in 1977 and then later recorded by the Bee Gees. It was off of Destiny’s Child’s album Survivor.
Buy the single on iTunes: Destiny's Child - Survivor - Emotion


Janette & Brandon’s Hip-Hop routine choreographed by Dave Scott

As much as I hated Dave’s first routine, I actually kinda liked this one. Maybe loved it. I didn’t love all of Brandon’s stops, but I did love that both of them went for it and pulled it out 90% of the time.

Song: What a World
Artist/Band: Common
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s off of his newest album Universal Mind Control.
Buy the single on iTunes: Common - Universal Mind Control - What a World


Kayla & Kupono’s Viennese Waltz choreographed by Jean-Marc Generaux

Fancy lights! Pulling out all the stops SYTYCD. I liked it. It kept my attention and I like that he used a song off of Jewel’s new album, Lullaby. It’s actually called Sweet Dreams on iTunes, if you’re searching for it. Kayla was amazing. I’m glad we got to see her do a waltz. Pono did better than I expected as well.

Song: Sweet Dreams for You
Artist/Band: Jewel
Where you’ve heard the song before: As I said above, it’s from her newest album Lullaby. If you liked the song, give the rest of the album a listen. Jewel - Lullaby
Buy the single on iTunes: Jewel - Lullaby - Sweet Dreams


Randi & Evan’s Contemporary routine choreographed by Mia Michaels

I kinda wanted wardrobe to put a unitard on Randi. You had to look really close at this dance to see that it was a Mia Michael’s original. At first glance it could have been a Mandy Moore or a Tyce Diorio. Strange song choice, but it all worked together.

Song: Koop Island Blues
Artist/Band: Koop feat. Ane Brun
Where you’ve heard the song before: I’ve never heard it before. It’s off of their album Koop Islands.
Buy the single on iTunes: Koop featuring Ane Brun - Koop Islands - Koop Island Blues


Caitlin & Jason’s Paso Doble choreographed by Jean Marc and France Generaux

Brandon’s audition song. They went through the steps but it definitely wasn’t good. The song is huge, HUGE. There are very few dancers that can stand up to that music. Caitlin and Jason were not two of them.

Song: O Fortuna (from Carmina Burana)
Artist/Band: Mozarteum Orchestra Salzburg & Kurt Prestel
Where you’ve heard the song before: This song has been all over. I can’t list it all. Go over to Wikipedia to ch-ch-check it out.
Buy the single on iTunes: Mozarteum Orchestra Salzburg & Kurt Prestel - Orff: Carmina Burana - O Fortuna


Jeanine & Phillips’ Broadway routine choreographed by Tyce Diorio

I wonder if Tyce got any of his inspiration from this dance. It was nice to see Arielle in the audience. One of the few Broadway routines that I enjoyed. I loved the song and the concept.

Song: Moses Supposes
Artist/Band: Singing in the Rain
Where you’ve heard the song before: I imagine most SYTYCD fans and dance fans in general have seen this movie. If you haven’t, watch this YouTube clip of Moses Supposes from the movie.
Buy the single on iTunes: The London Theatre Orchestra & Cast - Singing In the Rain - Moses Supposes


Top 16 Results Show


Top 16 Group Opening Routine choreographed by NappyTabs & Dmitry

One of my Top 3 Group routines ever. I loved the combination of hip-hop and whatever it was that Dmitry threw in. That whole routine goes on the Hot Tamale Train for me.

Song: I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)
Artist/Band: Pitbull
Where you’ve heard the song before: Some of the SYTYCD Season IV Real dancers did a dance to this song on Ellen. It’s also getting lots of airplay these days. On my iPod. In the gym.
Buy the single on iTunes: Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) - EP - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho) [More English Extended Mix]


The Rage Boys Crew Performance

I think that this dance should have been limited to those dancers under 4 feet tall (like Evan and Randi). Too adorable. But Cat Deeley takes the “Cute” award of the night.



Song: Feel It
Artist/Band: Colby O’Donis and Mauli-B
Where you’ve heard the song before: I couldn't find this song anywhere in mp3 format. Sorry!


I didn’t get a chance to re-watch the solos so no commentary this time around.

Asuka’s Solo

Song: Don’t Trust Me
Artist/Band: 3OH!3
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s from their album Want.
Buy the single on iTunes: 3OH!3 - Want - Don't Trust Me


Vitolio’s Solo

Song: Viva La Vida
Artist/Band: Coldplay
Where you’ve heard the song before: It was featured on the showMedium and the re-boot of 90210. If you don’t have this album already, go out and buy it. It’s worth it!
Buy the single on iTunes: Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - Viva la Vida


Karla’s Solo

Song: 15 Step
Artist/Band: Radiohead
Where you’ve heard the song before: It’s from their album In Rainbows. Apparently the song used a group of kids from the Matrix Music School & Arts Centre in Oxford.
Buy the single on iTunes: Radiohead - In Rainbows - 15 Step


Jonathan’s Solo

Song: The Hunted
Artist/Band: Kodo
Where you’ve heard the song before: High praises for the SYTYCD music people and their wide variety of music this year. Kodo is a drumming troupe from Japan. I imagine this song is from the movie The Hunted.
Buy the single on iTunes: Kodo - Ibuki - The Hunted


Caitlin’s Solo

Song: Que Sera Sera
Artist/Band: Jennifer Terran
Where you’ve heard the song before: This song has a loooong history. Read it over at Wikipedia because I can’t process all of that information right now.
Buy the single on iTunes: Jennifer Terran - Live from Painted Cave - Que Sera Sera


Jason’s Solo

Song: New American Classic
Artist/Band: Taking Back Sunday
Where you’ve heard the song before: Taking Back Sunday needed to make an appearance on SYTYCD. It’s only right. Great choice. Go buy this album as well. Where You Want To Be. Taking Back Sunday - Where You Want to Be
Buy the single on iTunes: Taking Back Sunday - Where You Want to Be - New American Classic


The Veronicas’ (+ Lindsey of the Beat Freaks) Performance

Finally! A half-decent song and kickass dancers. Now let’s keep this up SYTYCD.

Song: Take Me On the Floor
Where you’ve heard the song before: This song was used for promos for the Australian version of Dancing with the Stars. And I’m sure it’s stuck in your head by now. Catchy tune.
Buy the single on iTunes: The Veronicas - Hook Me Up (Bonus Track Version) - Take Me On the Floor

Asuka’s Goodbye Montage

Song: Already Gone
Artist/Band: Kelly Clarkson
Where you’ve heard the song before: The last 2 weeks plus the next 5 weeks. Or maybe they’ll change the song when we get to the Top 10. SYTYCD keeps me guessing!
Buy the single on iTunes: Kelly Clarkson - All I Ever Wanted (Deluxe Version) - Already Gone


Jonathan’s Goodbye Montage

Song: On Your Own
Artist/Band: Green River Ordinance
Buy the single on iTunes: Green River Ordinance - Out of My Hands - On Your Own




1 comment:

Margot said...

In full 100% agreement with everything in your opening paragraph! And get this - I was at the taping on Tuesday and they only aired about 20% of the things Toni said! Cracks me up that she makes me feel like I understand Li'l C. She can turn any topic into something that has to do with street. Thanks for the songs!