Monday, September 28, 2009

America's Next Top Model (Cycle 13) - 13x04 "Make Me Tall"

Against my better judgment, I am falling for Nicole as my cyclical Favorite Top Model Contestant, because she's a self-secluding weirdo with some lustrously pale skin, and hey, redhead, and she even seems to have a well-developed moral worldview that cuts through adolescent drama. More interestingly, though, is the reason I'm reluctant to identify a favorite -- because the type of contestant that the show casts (not to mention the type of contestant to whom I'm drawn) always has some fatally annoying or downright dealbreaking flaw that is inevitably drawn out when the competition has sifted out the chaff to leave the "contenders." At this point, either they let the politics of winning overwhelm their ethics/my aesthetics and/or the stress of competition breaks their fragile minds. Hopefully, Nicole's sedateness/apparent disinterest in the competition will help her avoid such moral pitfalls, but I'm aware that I'm setting myself up for more disappointment.

Also, that little girl they brought out like a prize show horse is a terrible fright. She nearly made me ill.

Indie rating: Kinski – "XXXVI"

No comments: