Tuesday, June 15, 2004

America's Next Top Model (Cycle 1) - "The Girl Wants It So Bad"

Disclaimer: I only began watching the first season after about 6 episodes, so if I haven't seen it before, it's new to me! Now's my chance to praise and geek out over Elyse in proper fashion. Yay!

But first some villainy. (But even before that: Tessa is a deadringer for Hilary Swank.) I was all about to put some major hate on for Robin going into this episode, and while she certainly didn't disappoint (describing herself as "fun"?? AARGH I HATE YOU. Intolerance of others and Others over ultimately trivial matters? AUGH HATE HATE HATE YOU ARE HORRIBLE &c.), Giselle was by far more obnoxious on this installment. Her gross self-absorption and rampant disdain for the other contestants pissed me off in near-record time. Haterism here I come!

OH
TELL ME ABOUT
ELYSE! I WANT TO TALK ALL
ABOUT ELYSE! WELL, YOU KNOW ELYSE?
I WILL TYPE IN ALL-CAPS FOR WHEN I TALK ABOUT ELYSE I THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA FOR TO CONVEY MY INTELLECTUAL ADMIRATION FOR HER! YES. SO CUTE HER ENSEMBLE AT THE FINAL AUDITION, THE (I BELIEVE) BLOUSE WITH THE TIE, VERY INDIE-ROCK! GIRLS WHO LOOK LIKE BOYS ARE CUTE OF A MILLION!

I ought to point out that the impression I have of THE ELYSE is informed by her post-harangue -- the jaded, world-weary half-cynic; and now entering into Cycle 1, she's intent and apparently into the idea of the competition itself (e.g. her remark about how she was glad that it was just the eight of them in the penthouse) without (so far) the taint of ironic remoteness. Also, I didn't have the sense before that she started off as the underdog, even though she was the third (or fourth?) girl to be made safe in the elimination.

Last surprise for the night: THE ELYSE and Adrianne didn't waste time palling up -- at the final audition, THE ELYSE was the first to congratulate Adrianne, and it was an exuberant embrace at that.

No comments: